Little Keys & Junior Keys
Our Little Keys Programme is designed for Children between the ages of 3 - 7.
It has been designed as a fun and accessible step by step programme to start Children off on the right track with learning the piano.
"Children who study music tend to have larger vocabularies and more advanced reading skills than their peers who do not participate in music lessons."
The Little Keys Programme is delivered in small groups of no more than four children :
All students start by learning new pieces by singing the words of the song, and then progress to 'singing' the solfege notes they are about to play (doh, reh, mi etc). From here, it's much easier to apply those notes to the piano, where they will learn to play the music.
All song learning is also supported by note reading, rhythm games, performance opportunity in class and our annual end of year concert.
"Young children who take music lessons show different brain development and improved memory over the course of a year, compared to children who do not receive musical training."
Each class is weekly - however because all children learn at different rates, each child will also recieve 20 minutes of one-on-one tuition, twice termly. This contact time is absolutely vital in making sure that no child is left behind in their learning - and for those a little further ahead, it allows the learning of additional pieces outside of the 'core syllabus' for a truly personalised approach.
Little Keys Features:
- All materials and resources included in the lesson cost. See our 'Fees' page for more information.
- Your Child will learn to read music notation and rhythm notation from the first lesson.
- There are specific cognitive development goals of micro motor skill development and memory enhancement (learning to play from memory)
- Singing, Dancing and Games keep the traditional learning of an instrument light-hearted and fun.
- By the end of the first year most children will be able to play with two hands (at the same time!) fluently.
- Performance opportunities in class and annually at a larger Concert.
Our Junior Keys course is designed for Children between the ages of 8 - 12. An important developmental step up from the Little Keys Programme is that your child will now be able to develop their own sense of musical style by choosing their repertoire.
"In terms of brain development, music is every bit as important educationally as reading and writing" - Oliver Sacks
Each child will get an opportunity throughout the school year to work on a piece of his/her choosing in a group environment.
Importantly there is also a core focus on group performance. You won't find our lessons playing the same song in unison - we create full part-based performances where one participant will be responsible for drums; another the 'string' section and someone else might be working on melody on brass - all delivered via pianos, keyboards and percussion. This helps to create a feeling of belonging, rhythmic development and team building.
"I teach not because I want my students to become concert pianists or have careers in music - but so they can have fun and have a passion to cling to through the tumultuous school years: To learn and recognise beauty in something as intangible as a melody and ultimately be a more compassionate, rounded person" - Dan Sherwood
Junior Keys Features:
- 'Core' lesson materials included in the cost of weekly tuition. This includes scales, exercises and mandated pieces.
- 'Optional' lesson materials may be required if your child would like to learn pieces outside of the core syllabus.
- Individual Performance, group unison performance and group 'orchestral/band' performances are practiced.
- Theory of Music is included in the core syllabus up to Grade One Level.
- Your child will learn about simple music production including recording, playing with a click track and sound production.
- Weekly group lesson and eight annual private sessions are included in the weekly lesson cost of tuition.
- Small groups of no more than four performers.